Wednesday, May 17, 2017

VR Troopers Season 1 Episode 21 "The Great Brain Robbery" review

In college, I found the episode to be quite exciting because of the bickering between Ivar and Grimlord. Grimlord insults Ivar causing Ivar to use a weapon that Grimlord made him in charge of to be on his side. Ivar is quite Starscream-ish including his airplane face design.

However, as much as I dislike agreeing with detractors of the adaptation process of VR Troopers, probably because they never watched the episode, there's a point. Ivar and Grimlord don't talk to each other on screen, so they don't have that Megatron-Starscream-ish chemistry. Not even Kirk and Khan never being on screen at the same time dynamic. (Then again I never really understood Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.)

They seem to seem to skip the line where Ivar says he'll betray Grimlord which is quite oftputting, although I definitely like how there's betrayal, there's a human aspect of trust establish by Grimlord's men opposed to just constantly following his words because the show tells you too, even if he doesn't follow Grimlord's words, because the show tells you to.

A lot of the episode is not really relevant and sorta padded out, although I do like a bit of talk between Woody and Kaitlin discussing the general's brain, even if it is kids show comic book show cheese.

The brain has blood with a red liquid feeding it, a Halloween effect, but quite effective and creepy even now when I'm at age 30. The fact theat they discuss teleporting ghosts on the scene works as well, not because of what I said but because Grimlord's Skugs do that, and Captain Brighton describes it quite well.

Overall, I didn't remember the episode when I was young, it was a great episode when I was college, there's not enough character, plot or anything for me to enjoy it much at 30 though, although the action is quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment